Sunday, August 17, 2014

Lord, Give Me a Song

I work in a very busy atmosphere: there are people talking, phones ringing, dogs barking, people scurrying to and fro. Even in all the madness of the office, I typically have some "quiet" time in the garage unpacking boxes and putting supplies in their proper places. This time can be quite peaceful even with multiple interruptions.




I have found that during this time, my mind typically wanders. I can think of seventy-eleven different things in the matter of 30 minutes. Sometimes, however, my mind gets stuck on a song. The song can come from anywhere: the radio in the office (typically country), something I had heard that morning getting ready, a song from our recent church service or worship practice, or even a small snippet I had heard on TV or in a movie. 





I have discovered that when hymns, worship music, or contemporary Christian songs get stuck in my head, my day seems a little bit brighter.  I have started looking forward to some of those peaceful moments, "in the middle of the crazy," (Mandisa) where I can just feel God through a song.






I have even started asking God to give me a song as I am walking to work. Usually the first thing that pops into my head is "You put a song in my soul and I wanna let it out. Your Spirit in my life, well it makes me wanna shout..." Of course, I have to laugh. You can't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor. But usually, when that down time in the office comes, God gives me the song I need for the day.  It's a special way for me to keep Him in my thoughts and by my side throughout the day.  I want my life to be a reflection of Him. I am far from perfect, but I feel that the more God is in my head, the more I am able to shine His light.


Dear Lord, please give me a song today that will point me to You and keep Your word, Your light, and Your love on my mind and in my heart every moment of every day. Thank You for giving me Your peace and comfort in this special way. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment